JAGUAR: PODIUM FINISH FOR GROUP 44 RACERS!


Spectacular 1-2 finish for vintage Jaguar racecars at Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion.



The joy of a brilliant finish creates magic, as it did when the Group 44 Jaguars of Rick Knoop, Laguna Beach, CA, Stephan Cooper Photo, above, and Doug Smith, Plantation, Fl finished First and Second, respectively, in Rolex Race Group 6B for 1981–1989 FIA Mfg. Championship and IMSA GTP cars. Koop and Smith’s 1-2 podium finish was a salute to Jaguar and Bob Tullius, the driver who helped establish Jaguar’s name in international racing from the mid-1970s through the 1980s. Tullius was overwhelmed watching his old racecars score a podium finish.




“I haven’t seen Bob Tullius, Dennis Tanney Photo, above, in 25 years, and I actually raced against him when he raced the car that I drove today,” said Knoop.



“Back in the day he also fought tooth and nail with Chip Robinson, Doc Bundy and the other Group 44 drivers. Today’s race was so exciting - can you imagine 24 cylinders (between Doug’s V12 engine and mine) coming off the Corkscrew?  I tell you, that is what living is all about.”







Doug Smith started Second and finished Second. “Rick is such an awesome driver, and today’s race was the most fun I have ever had in a race car,” said Smith, Stephan Cooper Photo, left.



“As I waved to the fans in the stands I got a bit choked up; it was an awesome feeling. My family is a motorsports family, and I grew up watching these cars race, so this weekend has been a childhood fantasy for me. Waking up tomorrow will be a disappointment, because it will mean it’s all over until next year. I really didn’t want this to end. The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion is definitely Disneyland for big kids.”